Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zucchini Pancakes

For those that know a little bit about my home country of Belarus know that most, if not all of our national dishes are usually made with potatoes. That's right, I come from the potato land (and I love potatoes)! However, this year, once again, I let our first zucchini overgrow in our vegetable garden... to about 4 lbs!

What to do... I love potato pancakes, they are a staple in Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian cuisine. Originally, my plan was to make potato-zucchini pancakes, but since I ran out of potatoes this weekend, it became just Zucchini Pancakes. They are sooooo easy to make and so quick that I didn't feel the need (and frankly, had no time) to make illustrations. I'm sure you'll be able to figure this out, it's that easy :)

Hubby had them with maple syrup. Being true to my Slavic roots, I had mine with sour cream.


Ingredients:

* about 4-5 small zucchinis (I'd say, about 1 lbs or so)
* 2 eggs
* 4 tbsp of flour
* garlic powder
* salt & pepper
* cooking oil (I use olive oil)

Directions:

1. Grate zucchini (skin on) and drain the liquid.

2. Mix in 2 eggs, garlic powder (amount is up to you), salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add flour; if the mixture appears to be too liquidy add more flour.

4. Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat; spoon the zucchini mass into small pancakes; cook on each side till golden-brown (each side literally takes only about 1 minute).

5. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make potato pancakes but couldn't find a good recipe. Wanna set me up with yours?

    ReplyDelete