Monday, May 10, 2010

11 Years gone by

This morning marks 11 years since I've stepped on Canadian soil for the first time... The time really does fly, especially when one is busy! Only now I look back and realise that in these past 11 years I only saw my family 3 times... This makes me sad. Family is sooo important, even if you aren't close, you always know that these are the only people that will always have your back, no matter what. Of course, friends could be part of your family too. I've got 1 best friend like that, whom I've known from over 20 years; but her too, I only saw 3 times in these last 11 years.

A lot has happened since May 10th 1999 - graduated from Canadian high school (oh the horror of 13-year duration!), graduated university and obtained a Masters degree, married, bought our first home, expecting our first child... Lived on my own since the tender age of 19... And yet, somehow, managed not to think about the fact that real family isn't here, isn't close by. Maybe I'm getting old and nostalgic, or something!.. When I had all the time in the world to go back and visit, I had no money. Now that I can afford it, I've got no time. Ironic, isn't it?!

The most selfish thought that I've had for a while now is bringing my family here, to live. Why selfish, you might ask? It's because I am established here now, but for them moving here would mean starting over, later in life.

But then again, where there is a will, there is a way. Isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment