Monday, February 17, 2014

Barcelona Aquarium (L’Aquàrium de Barcelona)

So... I'm back! I won't bore you with the details of where I've been for the past 3+ months; as usual, I have too many grand plans, but little time.

Last week something happened that is actually worth sharing: I traveled to the beautiful Barcelona, Spain!!!
I spent 7 nights there and that definitely was NOT enough...

Let me share some highlights with you - up first, L’Aquàrium de Barcelona (Barcelona Aquarium). This place is great (this is my third aquarium) - cost: only €20. I say "only" because it's totally worth it given what it offers. First, its Oceanarium is unique in Europe and is its largest aquarium.

Here are its parameters:

Can you imagine - it holds 4,500,000 litres of water!
My sister and I were able to take our time and set our camera for a nice shot



Second, they also have many many many tropical, salt-water and fresh-water aquariums as well. This place claims to be the largest Mediterranean-themed aquarium in the world! The nice thing is that their tanks all have flat front glass, which makes taking photos that much easier (unlike the new aquarium in Toronto with its curvy tanks).

Finally, they've got a few themed aquariums/terrariums with penguins, salamanders, iguanas, frogs, and a touch tank with rays. They also have a nice play & explore area for kids with a cool submarine that they can play-pretend inside.

*** TIP: the aquarium is open pretty late (earliest closing time is 21h00, later at busier times of the year), so I recommend giving yourself a few hours, but coming closer to their closing time. Even though the touch tanks might be closed, you'll avoid huge crowds, school groups etc.

Here are a few of the highlights (but as I already mentioned, this is a must-see place in Barcelona):

Wreathy-tuft tube-worms

Sea horses (3 tanks full of them!)

Pink anemone

One of many gorgonians (aka sea fans)

Another sea fan
Longhorn cowfish
One of many Mediterranean-themed fishtanks
Red lionfish (in a tank was filled with poisonous species)
Octopus
Ambystoma mexicanum (aka Mexican salamander)

If you happen to visit this Barcelona attraction, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! :)

Cheers,

Nadia R.

No comments:

Post a Comment